Sunday, January 24, 2010

Zombies, Vampires and Drama Oh My!

As a research topic, I’m thinking of doing it on how zombies have evolved and have become one of society’s top monsters. I’m interested in doing this because monsters and horror films in general tend to reflect on what’s going on in society. George Romero used zombies to protest against the Vietnam war and to show how violent it was over there. Also, ever since 9/11 occurred there’s been a rise of apocalyptic movies about zombies. I’d like to research that more and show that even though vampires have become equally popular, over time their fad is going to die down, while zombies will still be popular.

Another research topic I’d be interested in doing is the evolution of vampires and if they have reached their end. I mean even though vampires have become extremely popular in the last few years, there’s not much else to cover about them. Throughout centuries vampires have evolved from savage monsters like Nosferatu, to suave creatures like Count Dracula, to the more recent vampire with a soul like Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Edward from Twilight. Atleast with zombies, they’re just starting to think for themselves, today’s vampires are more human than anything else and once the fans get tired of that, what’s to become of vampires? Will they degrade back to vicious monsters like 30 Days of Night? I’d be interested to research that and find the answer out myself.

I need to start concentrating more on my work. With recent personal problems and such, I find myself more distracted. It's been increasingly difficult to sit around and write for my classes. In fact I went to school on Friday and I couldn’t bring myself to go to class, so I just sat around in the library on the computer, or in the café reading. It’s a waste of time and I need to solve my problems and continue on. At least I’m not slacking on homework, in fact I’m oddly ahead of that. Luckily that’ll buy me enough time to get my act together.

0 comments: